Docker on Windows: From 101 to Production
Monday October 1 09:00 - 17:00
Docker is a platform for running applications in lightweight units of compute called containers. You can run new and old apps in containers, and get increased portability, security and efficiency for your software. The platform supports the full development and deployment lifecycle – with Docker you can build, ship and run any app anywhere.
Docker has production support for containers on Windows Server 2016, and Windows containers don’t need separate licencing. Migrating your apps to Docker is a great way to increase utilization in your datacenter, or to prepare for a move to the cloud. When your app is running in Docker, it’s easy to break features out and run them in separate containers, so you can deploy updates to your app without a full regression test.
In this full-day workshop you’ll use Docker EE on Windows Server 2016* and learn:
– how Docker containers work on Windows
– how to package existing .NET apps using Docker
– how to break features out from a monolith into separate containers
– how to add monitoring to your containers
– how Docker supports resilience and scale on a single server
– how Docker swarm mode provides production-grade orchestration.
* – you don’t need your own Windows Server machine, you’ll be provided with a VM in the cloud. You just need a Remote Desktop client so you can connect.
I’m a Pluralsight Author, Microsoft MVP and Developer Advocate at Docker, Inc. I’ve been architecting and delivering successful solutions with Microsoft technologies since 2000, most recently Big Data and API implementations in Azure, and distributed applications with Docker.
Currently I’m interested the evolution of the Microsoft stack, exploring the great opportunities opening up with .NET Framework apps running in Windows containers, .NET Core apps running in Linux containers, and running Docker on Azure.
I’m a regular speaker at events and user groups – you’ll often see me at Docker London, London DevOps and WinOps. In 2017 I’ve spoken at NDC London, OSCAMP, DockerCon, SDD, DevSum and NDC Oslo.